Owning a Samsung Galaxy phone has always been a proud thing to do. That’s because these phones have proven to be durable and reliable while at the same time communicating a certain sense of style. In particular, the Galaxy A series is the go-to phone for people who want a budget-friendly smartphone that performs beyond expectations.
Samsung Galaxy A54 was recently released on March 24, 2023. It comes with the same great features we have gotten used to from the South Korea-based company. Succeeding from the Galaxy A53, the A54 has an IP67 dust and water resistance rating. Other noteworthy features include a super AMOLED display, Android 13 OS out-of-box, and stereo speakers. Keep reading this review to determine whether the Galaxy A54 is worth its price tag.
Galaxy A54 – Purchasing Guide
- Galaxy A54 On Amazon – See Deals
- Galaxy A54 On Samsung – See Deals
- Galaxy A54 On Best Buy – See Deals
Reasons to Use Galaxy A54
Various reasons can motivate you to get the Galaxy A54. These include:
- Looking for a budget-friendly phone that does not compromise on features
- When you need a phone that allows you to access office productivity apps like Google Workspace and Microsoft Office. You can edit, save, and share your PowerPoint, Excel, and Word documents in an instant
- Want a battery (5000 mAh) that can take you several hours without needing to charge despite heavy utilization
- Looking for a phone with fast-charging features
- Want a phone that has biometric protection so that no one can pick it up and go beyond the lock screen
- When looking for a secure folder that allows you to protect your most important data and apps
- When looking for a phone that allows you to take good quality selfies with its 32 MP selfie camera. Additionally, photo lovers will be blown off with the 50 MP rear camera in addition to a 12 MP ultra-wide angle lens and 5 MP macro lens
Furthermore, as we continue to dive deeper into this review, here are some of the key features of Galaxy A54 that will give you a reason to buy the smartphone:
- 50 MP + 12 MP + 5 MP rear cameras
- 4 inches display
- 32 MP selfie camera
- 5000 mAh battery
- 8 GB Ram for seamless performance
- Fingerprint with virtual proximity sensing technology
With these features in mind, we can now explore the phone in bits and pieces to see what is in store for you.
The Galaxy A54 sports a forward-thinking design that attracts the eyes and fits comfortably in your hands. The inspiration for this phone takes a slight change from the A53 and its predecessors. Instead, it draws inspiration from the Galaxy S23 lineup, which has always been hailed for its brilliant design.
With an IP67 rating, as is the case for Galaxy A53, the A54 is water and dust resistant. One key change you will quickly note in this design is the rear camera array, which has three lenses that protrude from the body. That is quite a different approach than the A53, which had rear bump cameras taking a square-like shape. The slim feature of this phone is also something that might excite you. The 6.4 inches is 8.2mm in thickness and 202g in weight. That makes it a portable phone that does not limit your screen size content.
And talking of weight, Samsung Galaxy A54 has a 5000 mAh battery that does not make the phone heavier. While the battery stores enough charge to take at least two days, depending on your use, it allows you to carry the phone around without feeling like it is weighing you down.
Samsung Galaxy A54 would align with the needs of most environment-conscious individuals because it is made from recycled and eco-friendly materials. The phone is also slightly thicker than the A53 and S23 but matches the height and width of the S23. Regarding button placements, the volume and power buttons are located on the right side of the phone. The charging port and speakers are at the bottom of the phone, while the fingerprint scanner appears on the phone’s display. The placement of key buttons and the speaker is not a new approach but rather continues what had been done on the S23 and many other Samsung models.
The Galaxy A54 display has a positive first impression considering the responsiveness and snappy nature of its full HD and AMOLED display. Whereas this is the default resolution that the phone comes with, you can adjust it to a standard or adaptive resolution that reduces the refresh rate to 60Hz. The AMOLED display has a 120Hz refresh rate and a resolution of 1080 x 2400 pixels.
While scrolling on the screen, you will fall in love with it, not leaving fingerprint marks all over. In other words, the phone is not a fingerprint magnet. Therefore, you do not have to worry about putting a case on the phone if you aren’t a fan. However, you must note that the display is not crack-resistant. That means if it falls, it can potentially cost several dollars in screen replacement. Thus, adding a screen protector will do you more good than harm.
Anyone looking for the Galaxy A54 has three colors to choose from, namely:
Such flexibility means you always have something that works for you. Your choice of color can also be influenced by personal preference for the typical colors white and black. For instance, as most people prefer black color, they can simply choose graphite. Lime and violet colors would be chosen by those who want to use the phone to send a statement about their sophisticated sense of style.
Samsung Galaxy A54 has stereo speakers. Stereo speakers are two speakers that are built into a single device. Each of the speakers has its channel for the stereo sound, from which it generates a stereo effect.
The sound quality is not as high as expected, but it is quite decent for a budget-friendly phone. Test sound results perform well for most factors considered in playback and recording, like artifacts, background, dynamics, timbre, volume, and spatial. The punch is quite strong despite the volume, while the bass rendition has a natural and pleasant sensation. One thing that stands out when recording using the Samsung Galaxy A54 is its great tonal balance and consistency across use cases.
However, the phone has some demerits as far as sound quality is concerned. These include:
- Underwhelming depth rendition
- Has mild harshness
- Sound performance is dependent on the volume
The Samsung Galaxy A54 has an overall score of 133 across all metrics of testing sound quality. That means it performs better than most devices in its class but can do better.
- New colors, namely lime, violet, and graphite
- 50 MP sensor that provides noticeable improvements in videos and photos taken from the phone
- A larger 32 MP selfie shooter compared to previous models in the series and the S23
- Samsung’s newer Exynos chipset
Samsung has created an ergonomic phone that delivers decent performance without requiring you to dig deeper into your pocket. The starting price varies depending on the storage option, as shown below:
8 GB RAM + 128 GB – USD 458
8 GB RAM + 256 GB – USD 495
- 8 GB RAM
- 256 GB and 128 GB storage
- AMOLED display with 120 HZ refresh rate
- 1080 x 2340 pixels
- Wi-Fi 6
- 50 MP + 12 MP + 5 MP rear cameras
- 32 MP selfie camera
- 4-inch and full HD phone
- 7 x 158.2 x 8.2 mm
- 202 grams
- Out-of-box software: Android 13
- Five years of security updates
- Four years of software updates
- 25W wired charging
- 5,000 mAh battery
The Samsung Galaxy A54 takes the best-selling A-series to the next level by enhancing the features that you’ve come to love about Samsung to the next level. The introduction of a newer Samsung chipset improves performance. Similarly, maintaining the typical 5000 mAh battery ensures enough charge for two days before your next recharge.